Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chinatown

While Juha was at school, I went to Chinatown one day to buy fresh vegetables, fruits and spices. Downtown there is one block full with tiny Chinese stores and they sell everything you can think of for really good prices. Especially the food is much cheaper over there than in normal grocery shops. Since I like cooking the Asian style, I thought I do my groceries in Chinatown.
I found one shop which was in a basement and the shelves just continued and continued. They had everything related to food, even stuff I had never seen before. They even had a separate fish and meat counter, with fresh fish and pig feet. The smell was awful, so I didn't buy any fish or meat, but I think it might be worth trying another time. I left with a huge bag full of different vegetables, good spices and 2 kilos of Chinese rice.. and that for less than 20 dollars! I think I know where I will do my groceries from now on :)




Yesterday I cooked a noodle wok with beef with the fresh ingredients I bought in Chinatown. I thought I share the recipe with you. This is what you need to prepare it:
- Beef in slices
- Noodles
- Tauge
- Red pepper
- Red chili 
- Red union
- Garlic
- Ginger
- Broccoli 
- Carrots
- Lime 
(you can use whatever vegetables you like, this is just a suggestion)

First you start with cooking the noodles. After you have chopped all the other ingredients you put the garlic, unions, ginger and chili with some oil in a wok pan. 



Then you add the broccoli, carrots and pepper. You can cook the carrots and broccoli first if you want them to be soft before you add them. 


In the end you add the beef, tauge and the noodles. I also added the half of a lime in the end. 


And voila, ready :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment