Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Going Dutch

Even though we have been in Canada for only 6 months, finding a job which would suit my education felt sometimes impossible. I have been working part-time in a Portuguese restaurant and two different pediatric offices for the last six months, but I have also been applying constantly on full-time jobs. Most of the time I did not even get a reaction back and by the day I got more frustrated. Although I liked working in the restaurant and the pediatric offices, it was not something I wanted to do for the rest of the time we would stay in Canada.

Then, as some weird sign I googled on the right time the words Dutch jobs and Toronto. Guess what.. I found a job posting for an immediate position at the Dutch Consulate-General in Toronto. Finally a position which was right for me and where I had all the right requirements for. After I had sent them my resume, they invited me for an interview at the Consulate. The Consul-General himself and the Consul interviewed me. It was not a typical interview where they asked me questions, but more a nice chat, where they told me everything about the Consulate. I had to confirm them how motivated I was and that the job would be excited enough for me. The position which I was applying on was for the General department and would consist mostly of financial administration and internal affairs. However, because it`s a small office I would need to help with consular an economic affairs as well. A very diverse position, which is what I like.

Then the waiting started.. they said they have two other candidates and that they would let me know within a week. The longest week of my life, with a roller coaster ride of emotions, thinking one minute I am perfect for the position, the other minute being sure they won`t hire me. Finally on Monday I got the call.... and they wanted me!

I can`t even explain how happy I am, or we both are. It secures a lot for us and makes our stay in Canada much easier and fun. I will start my new job on Tuesday and then I will see what I`m exactly going to do.

Here`s another sign... A few days ago I found stroopwafels (Dutch syrup cookies) in the store.


No comments:

Post a Comment