Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall and preparing for Halloween

With Thanksgiving it was still summer, but now fall has come to Toronto as well. The last days have been really nice, quite cold, but the sun has been shining. Apparently this morning people had to scrape their car windows. Let's hope we still have a few of these lovely sunny fall days, before the winter starts. I took some pictures today, to show you how colourful it looks with the red/orange maple leafs.








Here in Canada Halloween is a big thing. Some people put a lot of effort into decorating their homes and yards. On Monday October 31 children go out to play trick-or-treat. They dress up and ring doorbells in their neighbourhood to receive candies. This weekend a lot of people organize dress up parties. We are also invited to go to a party downtown tomorrow. I am still working on our costumes and I will show you pictures of it after the party.




Juha bought a pumpkin on his way home. I had already wanted to buy one for a longer time, but pumpkins are really heavy and I was not able to bring one home by foot. Now when I finally got my pumpkin, I immediately started to carve it and gave the pumpkin a face. Can I introduce to you: Mr. Pumpkin!

First you cut a hole in the top for the lid

Then you scoop out the strings and the seeds

Scrape some of the flesh from the inside

Draw your pattern and start carving

To preserve the pumpkin a bit longer you can soak it in a bleach solution 


With some tea lights inside

Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you got beautiful fall in your area. Good job with the pumpkin! We were planning on going pumpkin picking today at our local farm, but it's raining sleet here! So that kind of ruins everything... Hopefully you're having better weather out there. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katz, thanks! That was a bumper you couldn't pick your pumpkin. I heard about the terrible snow storms in NY. I hope you had a scary Halloween anyhow.

    ReplyDelete